FAQSearchLoginRegister
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Message Tracking / MTA logfiles / Soap 

Post Message Tracking / MTA logfiles / Soap
Hello We are currently evaluating Redline to see if it fits.

We we want to track (Report, count) inbound / outbound and innerdomain email traffic.

As stated in the documentation, MTA and GWIA are setup.
But we have a few problems:

1.) Importing GWIA accounting files via SOAP fails:
Error Message "Unabale to login via SOAP with username: gwava"

SOAP is running and working (SSL is set to required) my guess is that, SSL is the problem ?
Manually importing the accounting file is working

2.) MTA Logfiles
As of the above SOAP problems i want to be sure the that importing the:
MTA logfiles
MTA Message log files
is working, wich seems not, where can i see if this is working or not ?
Where can i see the imported MTA logs within redline ?

3.) we want to generate reports on how many inbound, outbound divided by inndomain and outerdomain emails are sent/received.
My hope is, that this is possible when Message tracking i sworking, am i wright ?

Best regards

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:06 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Message Tracking / MTA logfiles / Soap
Hello,
1) I would try turning off SSL and see if the error message goes away regarding the Unable to login via SOAP. That would be the easiest way to proceed with that error first, before continuing. Then just make sure that the "gwava" username is an actual mailbox. Log into the GW client with user name gwava and it's associated password. Check to make sure that the acct logs are going into the mailbox. Finally, make sure that the SOAP is enabled for the entire Post Office, especially where that user is located.

2) We don't actually import the MTA log files. They get parsed. The MTA log files don't require SOAP. They use tcp/ip connection to get the location of the log files specified in the MTA admin page. In Redline, if you go to the Redline Map, select the MTA agent you are monitoring. Then on the status, or settings tab, look for the log file. Current logfile and last logfile. That will show you which log files it is currently parsing, and has parsed.
Running MTA reports also can help to see if you are getting data. Run a few MTA reports and see if data shows up there. (Make sure you have verbose logging turned on for the MTA logs, or the reports may not contain much, if any, information).
The redline agent logs also can show you if it is collecting information. If needs be, give support a call and send in the Redline agent logs.

3) the Internet Agent Message Summary is a good report for what you are needing. It does provide information for domains and the number of messages.
Internet Agent/Gateway Data Transfer during last 4 days is also a good one, but only shows the last 4 days. If you want more specific by user then Internet Agent/Gateway Message Count per User is a good one.The Trend Internet Messages is also a nice report that gives you details on message inbound and outbound from the last 18 months.
Message tracking can also help provide those details as well. Make sure the gateway administrator is setup correctly in GW so that Redline will be able to retrieve the acct log files via SOAP. If you need more help with this please contact support.

Thank you.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:26 pm

1) There is a bug logged about adding ssl support for the accounting file.

2) entries processed from the MTA logfiles are put in the mtamsgs database "MTA Message Tracking". There aren't any reports but you can use the query.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:28 pm
Profile E-mail

3) Run Report page filtering by GW Internet Agent. There are several to choose from but a good starting point is the Internet Agent Message Summary report. There is also a Trend Internet Messages report.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:29 pm
Profile E-mail