FAQSearchLoginRegister
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Redline Alerts 

Post Redline Alerts
I have 2 alerts that I keep getting from Redline about my GroupWise 8 SP 2 on Netware system, that I just can't figure out why they keep generating but I don't want to deactivate them.

The first alert that I get is the "RedlineDatabase->poaAgentState should be == Up but is Down" which multi-fires the alerts. I've marked the alerts as solved, logged into the POA screen of my GroupWise system and watched as the system starts reporting again that the POAagentState was down but the POA (always) runs normally. There are no resets visible in the POA log but over this past weekend I received over 1000 POA Down, POA back to normal messages, and as far as I can tell everything has been running solidly the entire time Redline claimed that it is going down and coming back up. Am I looking in the wrong place or is the agent state something other than the POA screen in NetWare? I'm considering deactivating this alert but I'm concerned that the POA may actually go down and I won't know it then.

The other error that I get quite often is "RedlineDatabase->ggwiasmtpdThreadsAvailSend should be >= 2, but is 0." Again I'll get a "back to normal" message seconds later, so this alert I did end up turning off, but there are never any problems indicated by the GroupWise system itself.

I do like the Redline monitoring system but these alerts are insane. This morning the poaAgentState sent me 89 alerts in less than a minute to say that the agent was down, then then 150 more over the next five minutes to say that the agent state was normal again. What can I do to remedy this issue or configure Redline better? Thanks!

Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:14 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Redline Alerts
Hello,
The good news is that the alerting system for Redline is working as it should. It's purpose is to alert you whenever there is an issue so that you can take corrective action as soon as possible.

For the 'poaAgentState should be == Up but is Down' there are a few reasons why that would throw the alert:
1) The actual GroupWise POA agent is down, or not responding. From what you said, this is not the case. You have checked the POA and it is running, and working properly. This alert then may be more of a false positive more than anything..
2) The Redline agent. If the Redline agent is having issues, or is shut down on that machine where the POA lives, you will get the same alert. Is the Redline agent still running on that POA box? The Redline agent log (rlag.log) can also be very beneficial in finding out why it is throwing the alert. 'Stuck agent monitor killed' are common error messages you may see when you encounter these types of problems. This usually means that the information needed by the GroupWise agent is not passed on to the Redline agent and then to the Control Center in a timely manner. When that happens it will throw the alert.
3) If you are getting 'Stuck agent monitor killed' messages within the rlag.log it's a good indication that we are just not able to obtain the information from the GroupWise agent in a timely manner. We can adjust some settings within the Redline agent to increase the timeout loop and it may help and stop the alert. To do that go to the Redline agent and click the settings tab. There will be a field in this window that will allow you to change the timeout.

The error: 'RedlineDatabase->ggwiasmtpdThreadsAvailSend should be >= 2, but is 0.' is technically a valid alert. If your system is receiving and sending lots of e-mail this alert can fire. What happens is that the Redline agent will go through it's loop (120 seconds by default). At the time it finishes the loop it may see that there are no more threads left, at that given time, on the e-mail system, where maybe a second later the threads will available again. It then fires a back to normal message, as you stated seconds earlier. Changing the timeout again may help with this as well. Another option is to increase the amount of smtp threads in the GWIA.

Hope this information helps.
Thank you.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:40 pm